Sunday 1 August 2010

I'm Lost


Another postcard from Whisper’s picture box. The same person, actress Maud Jeffries, in yet another role. Clues… they must be here somewhere.

How many days has it been? Still no Whisper. Unfortunately, these pictures of Maud are beginning to look more like me than providing any clues as to Whisper’s whereabouts.  Has Maud been left behind too?   I don't know.

The message I showed you last time concerning the sinking of the HMS Gladiator stirred me into looking for more information about the tragedy. It was, after all, written on one of the old postcards which for some reason Whisper wanted you to see. I know it must seem as though I’m clutching at straws, but there could be a message from Whisper here somewhere.


The postcard was dated April 26 1908, the day after the accident took place. In charge of the HMS Gladiator was Captain Walter Lumsden. It is just a coincidence, I know, but the message on the card was signed “W”, and Whisper’s brother’s name is Walter.

It is impossible to imagine what it must have been like for all those poor souls. The Captain did everything possible in the midst of a blinding snow-storm to save his ship from being rammed by the St. Paul and to save the lives of his crew.  Thirty lost and many injured.


With this sad story in mind I could not help but notice that in the background of this picture of Maud - a ship. Entering or leaving the harbour, it is hard to say. But on the horizon, is that a second ship? Or could it even be lighthouse?


- Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers