Wednesday 14 July 2010

Secrets of the Night

I was going to call this The Night Journey 2, but I think this picture will explain why I didn’t.


The Cabinet of the Secrets of the Night

I kept getting up and walking around the house in the dark. I couldn’t remember it ever being as quiet as this before. It was like being in Dorset again; only there, creatures I never saw in the day kept talking to each other all night. But there was nothing here to stop me going out.

Although it was dark I could see that the windows were closed so I went to the backdoor and was just about to go through the flap when suddenly I stopped. I thought there was something on the other side waiting for me to put my head out. I didn’t hear anything but if there was something out there that’s where they’d be waiting.

The chair was in the wrong place again so it took a few tries before I could get to the kitchen window. At first I couldn’t see anything. It seemed even darker out there than it was inside. Then I could just make out the top of the tree next door; it looked like a ghost but that was probably because of all its little white flowers. I thought of going next door tomorrow and climbing up there just to see for myself.

I was about to jump down from the window when something outside caught my eye. It’s hard to explain how you could see a shadow in the dark, but that’s what I saw. I kept very still and waited. If the shadow moved again then the shadow or what was making the shadow must really be there. And if the shadow was prepared to wait then so was I. With the window between us I knew I’d have time to get down and get up the stairs.

Time doesn’t seem to know where to go when you’re keeping still, so I don’t know how long I was waiting there. Suddenly there were three taps at the back door.

Usually I know it’s Jenny before she taps on the door, but this time my mind must have wandered because it gave me quite a start. She was already inside when I got to the door and she laughed and said, “Where were you then?” But I thought it best that I didn’t say a word.

Sometimes I think we’re just not meant to enquire into the secrets of the night.

Here is another picture that shows I’m not afraid of what’s outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers