Tuesday 20 April 2010

Volcano in the Sky


I did it! I heeded the advice of my much maligned brother Walter. I waited until it was dark and went outside and looked up.

Nothing but darkness up there. What a disappointment. What an admission!

Was I more curious to see this erupting apparition than to do my duty and try to blow the smoke of the thing away? But what good could I do alone? I gave a few half-hearted puffs up at the dark but nothing happened. And then, suddenly, it was there!

Did my seemingly futile attempt to blow its sulphorous clouds from the sky awaken a sleeping giant?

Unafraid, I calmly made my way back indoors, almost getting stuck half way through the cat-flap. I knew I had seen this somewhere before and I began pawing through my books to find it.

And there it was, a near-perfect depiction of what, for a brief and startling moment, I saw hovering way up there over the garden. And without a remaining cloud to be seen!

I reproduce it here in order to share the amazement.

A lesson for us all, I think. One person alone can make a difference.

Oh, and thank you Walter, all is forgiven. (I just wish you would consider giving up that rather unpleasant habit of yours.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers